Given how busy we all are these days, sandwiches are a go-to meal.
You can have them in the car, on the run, give them to the kids, and the list goes on and on. They are the perfect food for grab and go. The problem here is that sandwiches typically have toppings that bust our belts as well as empty calories with breads.
But what if you thought about sandwiches outside the bun? Could you create something healthier and even tastier than its predecessor? I say YES.
Stop thinking about the traditional sandwich, use some creativity and there will be no issue with having a great meal that can be made ahead and eaten while on-the-go.
Put the tortilla down!
Wraps are awesome, we all love them but that tortilla is just empty calories with no real nutritional benefit. What if we used a collard green to wrap our delicious fillings? Collards are a nutritional powerhouse and can be easily made ahead of time for when you’re too busy.
Vegan Collard Wrap
- 1 Large Collard Leaf
- 1 sliced radish
- 2 slices cucumber
- 1 tablespoon grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 3 tablespoons beet noodles
- 1 tablespoon dressing of choice
- Lightly steam the collard. This can be done by placing the green in a hot frying pan with a tablespoon of water for 2 seconds on each side. Remove from heat
- Slice rib from collard while keeping the leaf intact
- Add ingredients 1/3 of the way into the leaf
- Fold the leaf over the fillings, pinch the ingredients tightly and fold ends in like a burrito
- Finish rolling and there you have it!
The fastest way to eat fresh on the road
We are all busy whether its work travel, picking up the kids, dropping the kids off, shopping, running errands, you name it. Most of us gravitate towards the dreaded drive thru which we all know becomes the graveyard for your hopes and dreams for beach season. But there is hope, it doesn’t have to be that way. There are ready made grab and go options at your local grocer, deli, and convenience stores. They key is making the right choice at the right time. Most markets now in days have freshly cut fruit, sliced meats, guacamole, and nuts. These are the perfect match for on the go meals like roll ups. Forget the sandwich or burger, just pick up some of your favorite flavors and roll them up. It’s that simple.
Turkey Roll Ups
- 3 Ounces SlicedTurkey Breast
- 2 Tablespoons Guacamole
- 1 Pineapple Spear (Spinach is a great low carb option)
- Lay turkey slices flat and spread guacamole on the turkey
- Place a pineapple spear on the end of the turkey and roll up